Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Bedroom redo

Recently (ok 9 months ago) we bought a new house...well new to us.  It needs some cosmetic work but the location and layout really work.  I don't consider myself a decorator at all.  You would think since I love to scrapbook and make cards I could easily put together a room.  I start thinking about decorating the house and I get all anxious.  What if I make a mistake?  What if I spend a lot of money doing it and I hate it? 

Anyone else out there struggle with this?

I've decided I'm going to start with one room at a time unless I find a piece for a different room that I love.  I'm starting with the bedroom. 

First thing I started looking for were some curtains.  Yes, 9 months and we have just had the blinds.

So, here are a few before photos.  Yes, the carpet is mauve.  The house is only 11 years old and lets just say the people that built it had tastes that were a lot different than ours.  Wait til I show you some of the light fixtures.

So this is looking at the bedroom from the entry to the room. 

looking at room from bathroom. Notice the never painted the closet doors and they are a cream color instead of white.  There is one on each side of the room.  No more sharing a closet.  That was one thing we liked.


looking at room from big window.  That door goes to master bath. 


We loved the size of the room. The room itself if 19'x15'6".  Just measured for carpet.  The two walk in closets are 10'x5' and are plenty of room. 


I had no idea where to start so I started looking for a new bedspread and curtains.  This is what I came up with.  I had to order the bedspread but went ahead and got the curtains since I had a coupon and they were on sale.




Added the bedspread. 


The bedspread and curtains are both from Jcpenny.  The bedspread is called Madison Park Belle.  Here is a LINK if you want to see it closer


We plan on painting the room Shaker beige from Benjamin moore, adding a new fan, and changing the carpet.  I also am looking for nightstands and a tv stand.   Right now the tv is on a table thats similar to a card table (think half the size of one).    

The furniture was pretty expensive so I feel like I'm stuck with it.  I loved it at the time (10 years ago) but now I just like it.  I don't feel like its my style.  Any suggestions for end tables?  I thought about something simple thats black.  What do you think? Should I just look for a matching mission style one? 

I also need art so any suggestions for that would be great.  I am thinking of doing chocolate brown, red cream and pops of turquoise.  



No comments: